I am Charlotte Thomson-Morley, a UK based Illustrator, passionate about self expression in art and life and the healing power of creativity and colour!
Having always been drawn to depicting the female form I set up my illustration business in 2005 and became well known for my feminine and voluptuous pin up women. My pin up portrait work quickly became a firm favourite among UK Burlesque performers and promoters and within the vintage and alternative Bridal and lingerie industry.
In recent years health issues have led me on a new path to rediscover my love of meditation, yoga and a more magical approach to art and life. My paintings of curvaceous women now carry an even more conscious message of self acceptance and body positivity and I now work as a Community Partner with the Yoga Body Image Coalition, promoting yoga for everybody.
My never-ending work in progress is to create a more eco-friendly art practice. I currently create my artwork using products from UK companies with a pro-active approach to sustainability. My art prints and greeting cards are created in small batches by small local companies and are printed onto sustainable card and packaged where possible with zero plastic. There is still work to be done and I am always interested to hear from ethical suppliers!
A few little things about me…
- I mostly create artwork in traditional watercolours or digital watercolours using Procreate or Affinity Photo for iPad.
- My favourite subject matters are people and faces, in particular capturing the unique spirit of a person.
- I have had work published in Gala Darling’s Book ‘Radical Self Love’ and the Die Gestalten book of Erotic Art ‘All Allure’.
- My past clients incude: Wonderbra, BBC, Tesco, The Blogcademy, Scarlet Magazine, Love My Dress, What Katie Did Lingerie and Eternal Spirits Corsetry, Game City…and many more!
- I spent 9 years working for Serif Europe LTD where I headed up their craft illustration team and progressed to a position in the Affinity team, managing commissioned art, design and photography.
- I have exhibited art in New York City, Chicago, Glastonbury, Nottingham and London.
- I love teaching and have lectured at Nottingham Trent University and Central College (my old art college) teaching students anything from professional practice to fashion illustration and life drawing.
- I co-founded the Nottingham branch of Dr Sketchy’s Anti Art School, the burlesque life drawing class with my wonderful friend and burlesque artiste Scarlett Daggers.
- I spent over a year as a part time Gallery Coordinator organising and curating exhibitions and events in Nottingham city centre.
- I spent 4 years co-organising Danse Macabre & Pit of Curiosities art events which were featured in Bizarre Magazine.
What makes me tick…
- Charity shops
- Star trek
- Afternoon tea
- Cooking with friends
- Illustrations by Quentin Blake, Shirley Hughes, Mike Mignola, Berni Wrightson & Bruce Timm
- Art by Frida Kahlo & Joseph Cornell
- Snowglobes from around the world
- Walks in the woods
- Hibiscus flowers
- Peanut Butter
- My lovely husband Dave our son and two rescue cats Mina and Wednesday.