Who I am
I am Charlotte Thomson-Morley, a UK based Illustrator, passionate about self expression in art and life and the healing power of creativity and colour!
Having always been drawn to depicting the female form I set up my illustration business in 2005 and became well known for my feminine and voluptuous pin up women. My pin up portrait work quickly became a firm favourite among UK Burlesque performers and promoters and within the vintage and alternative Bridal and lingerie industry.
In recent years health issues have led me on a new path to rediscover my love of alternative therapies, meditation, yoga and a more holistic and healing approach to art and life. My paintings of curvaceous women now carry an even more conscious message of self acceptance and body positivity and I now work as a Community Partner with the Yoga Body Image Coalition, promoting yoga for everybody.
My never-ending work in progress is to create a more eco-friendly art practice. I currently create my artwork using products from UK companies with a pro-active approach to sustainability. My art prints and greeting cards are created in small batches by small local companies and are printed onto recycled card, backed with recycled grey-board and packaged in biodegradable plastic sleeves. There is still work to be done and I am always interested to hear from ethical suppliers!
My life at Serif
In 2011 I joined the CraftArtist Illustration team at Serif which I now head up as their Illustration Team Leader/Senior Illustrator, occasionally moonlighting as a guest presenter on the Create&Craft shopping channel. You can find all of my (and my team Siobhan, Becks and Lauren’s) Digital Craft kits at Daisytrail.com.
A few little things about me…
- I mostly create artwork in watercolours, gouache, pencil and Indian ink.
- My favourite subject matters are people and faces, in particular capturing the unique spirit of a person.
- My past clients incude: Wonderbra, BBC, Tesco, The Blogcademy, Scarlet Magazine, Love My Dress, What Katie Did Lingerie and Eternal Spirits Corsetry, Game City…and many more!
- I have had work published in Gala Darling’s Book ‘Radical Self Love’ and the Die Gestalten book of Erotic Art ‘All Allure’.
- I have exhibited art in New York City, Chicago, New Jersey, Glastonbury, Nottingham and London.
- I love teaching and have lectured at Nottingham Trent University and Central College (my old art college) teaching students anything from professional practice to fashion illustration and life drawing.
- I co-founded the Nottingham branch of Dr Sketchy’s Anti Art School, the burlesque life drawing class with my wonderful friend and burlesque artiste Scarlett Daggers.
- I was the original illustrator for Love My Dress blog and have had art featured on Rock n Roll Bride.
- I spent over a year as a part time Gallery Coordinator organising and curating exhibitions and events in Nottingham city centre.
- I spent 4 years co-organising Danse Macabre & Pit of Curiosities art events which were featured in Bizarre Magazine.
What makes me tick…
- Star Trek
- Charity shops
- Auction rooms
- Afternoon tea
- Cooking with friends
- Stories by Edgar Allan Poe, Daphne Du Maurier, Neil Gaiman & Roald Dahl
- Illustrations by Quentin Blake, Shirley Hughes, Mike Mignola, Berni Wrightson & Bruce Timm
- Art by Frida Kahlo & Joseph Cornell
- Snowglobes from around the world
- Walks in the woods
- Hibiscus flowers
- Peanut Butter
- My lovely husband Dave and our 18 year old cat Dylan
Photos of my by my beautiful friend Natalie J Weddings